Lasers are ubiquitous in today’s society. From DVD players to laser light shows, laser range finders to kilowatt laser cutting machines: lasers and their hazards can be seen in many areas inside and outside of the work environment. Lasers are used in many different industries, including healthcare, manufacturing and research. The use of lasers presents several risks from both exposures to the beam as well as exposures to ancillary non-beam hazards. Even though EH&S professionals should have a basic understanding of the operation, hazards, and controls meant to prevent laser-associated injuries, it is challenging for safety professionals to gain exposure to these concepts. This PDC is designed to provide you with information about basic laser safety concepts.
0.4 CEUs available for those who complete the course. Eligible for CM, COC, CMP credits (hours, points,etc.). Learn more
On-Demand Training Modules
Slide-based instructional videos guide you through the learning objectives for each course.
Interactive Activities and Assessments
Test what you learned by answering quiz questions, completing short assignments, or completing a fun activity.
Easily access On-Demand modules when it convenient for you. Pick up where you left off.
Q&A forums allow you to ask the instructor questions and get feedback on assignments.
Eligible for CEUs and/or CM, COC, and CMP credit.
Laser Safety Fundamentals Self-Paced PDC Details
This self-paced course is designed to provide OESH professionals with an introduction to fundamental laser safety concepts that might be useful in environments where lasers are used.
- Videos and other learning aids are provided for self-paced learning. Course activities may include but are not limited to practice activities, multiple-choice quizzes, and small group activities. These activities are designed to engage participants and to assist in the retention of presented information.
- Access to all course activities and materials are available for 45 days from the paid registration date through the Bowen EHS® Member Center.
Upon completion, participants should be able to:
- Describe the process for laser generation.
- Compare and contrast the hazards associated with different classes of lasers.
- Provide one example of a beam hazard and non-beam hazard.
- List appropriate controls for different laser hazards.
This course contains 4 hours of instruction. 0.4 CEUs are offered for this course.
As an IACET Accredited Provider, Bowen Learning Network offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
Eligible for BGC CM hours, BCSP COC points, IHMM CMP credit, and more.
For more details on certification and recertification credit, please visit How many points/credits/hours is a course worth?
Notices and Requirements
Bowen EHS may have a proprietary interest in the products, instruments, devices, services or materials discussed in this course.
Participants must complete the following items to receive a Certificate of Completion:
- View all videos and complete all activities.
- Complete the course evaluation.
No certificate will be awarded to participants who do not meet the above completion requirements.